Broughton Chief Regulatory Officer, Dr. Nveed Chaudhary discusses business growth and Broughton’s plans to extend its service portfolio into adjacent markets.
Nveed discusses the ambitious growth plans in a rapidly changing market.
Broughton is a specialist Contract Research Organization (CRO) supporting clients navigating global regulatory pathways from ideation and product development through to regulatory approval. The business has over 10 years’ experience within the rapidly changing next generation nicotine-delivery market, supporting companies across the USA, UK, Europe, Middle East and China.
As a CRO specializing in Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS), Broughton continues to grow as it plans to expand its services into new fast growth non-combustible nicotine delivery and Cannabidiol (CBD) product categories by providing an end-to-end integrated service, backed by extensive in-house analytical and toxicology capabilities.
Its specialist teams have built a reputation for scientific and regulatory consultancy within this industry and the team are working with clients and regulatory stakeholders to advance a smoke-free future by accelerating next generation, non-combustible nicotine delivery products to market. The business is now embarking on its next phase of growth into adjacent markets, including modern oral nicotine products, heated tobacco products (HTPs) and CBD products.
Next Generation Products
Modern oral products are one of the fastest growing next generation nicotine delivery categories. The market for oral nicotine pouches, where tobacco is replaced with nicotine, is projected to grow from $629m in 2020 to $12.97bn by 2026 according to analysis published by 360marketupdates.
HTPs are an attractive alternative to combustible cigarettes due to their effective nicotine delivery. By heating instead of burning tobacco, HTPs deliver a nicotine aerosol to satisfy smokers without the levels toxins associated with health risks.
CBD is believed to help with pain relief and to control anxiety and depression. Many new products are becoming available in this category and global regulations are beginning to emerge to ensure product efficacy and safety. Broughton will be applying its depth of scientific and regulatory expertise and learnings from nicotine to offer a comprehensive end-to-end service for clients wanting to develop and launch these next generation products into global markets.
To support the adjacent market moves, recent high-profile additions to the team include:
- Dr. Nveed Chaudhary has recently joined the team as Chief Regulatory Officer. Nveed was previously Head of Harm Reduction Science at Imperial Brands PLC, and Director of Strategic Communications at Philip Morris International, and held leading roles in the regulatory submissions and discussions for IQOS at PMI and myblu at Imperial Brands. He is a recognized expert in the nicotine sector, is an author of over 25 peer-reviewed publications and has presented at numerous international conferences on both lung disease and tobacco harm reduction.
- Emma Lennon has joined the Scientific Affairs team as Principal Scientist specializing in chemistry consultancy. Emma has extensive knowledge of cannabis-based products from her experience at GW Pharmaceuticals. Emma will apply her expertise to support clients developing scientific strategies for global regulatory pathway applications.
- Dr. Alex Bell has joined the Product Safety team as Principal Toxicologist. Alex has a PhD in Molecular Toxicology and experience of leading a multi-disciplinary team of scientists at AstraZeneca. Using his experience in complex drug discovery programs, Alex is working on innovative models to bridge non-clinical data both within and across client regulatory submissions.
Further additions to the team include:
- Principal Toxicologist Dr Aruna Surekha Pasupuleti DABT and Senior Toxicologist Jahsh Shah ERT based in India. Both bring over 10 years’ experience, having worked across pharmaceutical, FMCG, medical device, medicines, cosmetics, flavor and fragrance material, personal and household care and chemical industries covering regulatory compliance. Capabilities they bring in directing desk based and in-vivo toxicological studies will enable Broughton to expand beyond nicotine-based products into broader areas of toxicology to support potential client needs.
- Perla Valencia-Landestoy also joins the company as a Toxicologist, and is based in California, USA. With extensive experience across the ENDS sector and the pharmaceutical industry, Perla will support the company’s product safety and compliance team.
- Teresa Tai, based in Hong Kong, has been appointed as Project Manager to support clients in the Chinese market, bringing with her almost 10 years’ experience of research and development projects for British American Tobacco.
In a statement soon after joining, Dr. Nveed Chaudhary said “The most promising aspect to combating the harm effects caused by smoking is to offer smokers high quality, rigorously tested and regulated non-combustible products. Broughton are in a unique position to maximize the success of securing marketing orders for the next generation product industry by acting as a bridge between the industry and global regulators. By applying our skills and knowledge we can accelerate the creation of a smoke-free future generation by partnering with multiple manufacturers to provide the widest range of next generation product options, so that every smoker can find an option to off-ramp from smoking in the most effective way. Through the further development of our adjacent business services, we have the opportunity to reap the benefits of other active substances, such as CBD, without the harms that arise from combustion.”
Dr. Paul Moran, Chief Executive of Broughton, said: “We are keen to maintain the momentum of our ambitious growth plans. These recent appointments strengthen and bolster our position in the ENDS sector and our ability to support clients across global markets. Nveed, Emma, Alex, Aruna, Jahsh, Perla and Teresa bring extensive capabilities across new markets to the experienced Broughton team, enabling evolution of our growth plans and our focus on working with clients to pursue innovations that achieve success and advance a smoke free future.”
Can we help you?
Broughton have deep CRO capabilities and an experienced team of scientific and regulatory professionals to manage full service global regulatory projects. Our knowledge of global regulatory pathways offers significant insights that can be incorporated into your project plans. Our mission is to accelerate safer nicotine-delivery products to market; advancing a smoke-free future.
Book a meeting with us today to discuss your requirements.